Chandigarh : The Punjab government will be introducing a biometric attendance system in all the colleges and industrial training institutes run by the state Technical Education department. Charanjit Singh Channi, Minister, Punjab Technical Education and Industrial Training made this announcement while presiding over the first review meeting of the department at Chandigarh.
He said that the biometric system would be introduced both for the staff and students which would be directly connected with the head office.
“The state government would launch a scholarship scheme for meritorious students interested in studying in government polytechnic, engineering colleges and industrial training institutes (ITIs),” Channi said. He said the scheme will also be applicable for outstanding sports students. In a stern message to all the officials, the minister said corruption and favouritism would not be tolerated at any level in the department and all promotions would be based on performance.
Highlights as stated by Channi
- Based on the present and future needs of the global industry, the state-run institutes should focus on providing job orientated quality education
- The heads of the department to make extra efforts to tie up with big industrial units and multinational companies at their levels for the placement and practical training of students
- Announcing zero tolerance towards copying in exams, along with the erring students, the examiners concerned will also be held responsible
- The answer sheets of students seeking revaluation would be put on the department website and if a difference of more than 10 percent is found in the revaluation cases, action will be taken against the examiner
- The senior officials to inspect all polytechnic, engineering colleges and ITIs regularly and submit their performance reports to him
The minister also announced annual state awards for the three best-performing principals and teachers from each of the institutes of the technical education department.
Note: News shared for public awareness with reference from the information provided at online news portals.