Go to ...

Skill Reporter

Informational updates on skill development, technical vocational education and training

Skill Reporter on Google+Skill Reporter on YouTubeSkill Reporter on LinkedInSkill Reporter on PinterestRSS Feed

April 27, 2018

Nagpur Govt approves 10 acres for L&T construction skills training institute at Wathoda


Nagpur : The state government has approved Nagpur Municipal Corporation’s (NMC) proposal to lease out 10 acre at Wathoda to L&T Construction, for development of Construction Skills Training Institute, at a nominal rate. The approval makes it mandatory for L&T to train 1,200 youths every year free of cost, with 70% seats reserved for city youth, and the remaining 30% for rest of Vidarbha.

The state’s urban development department (UDD) issued a notification on Tuesday giving the green signal to the civic body’s proposal. Now, NMC and L&T Construction will execute an agreement. The centre will be developed in 10 acre situated near proposed Sports Authority of India (SAI) Regional Centre and Symbiosis University’s Outreach Centre, at Wathoda in East Nagpur.

The UDD notification said, “L&T developed and operates Construction Skills Training Institute at Pavel, which is a very reputed one. Large number of youths get training and good jobs with help of the centre. Similarly, 1,200 young boys and girls will benefit from the proposed centre in the city every year.”

As per the UDD notification, NMC will lease out the land for 30 years. L&T will facilitate seven training courses of 3-6 months duration. L&T will develop the centre comprising institute building, hostels, machinery etc at an estimated cost of Rs3.50 crore.

NMC will continue to be the owner of the land on which L&T Construction will develop the centre. L&T Construction cannot mortgage the land for loan or other purposes.

Union minister for road transport, highways and shipping Nitin Gadkari had announced the centre during the bhoomipuja of SAI Regional Centre in April 2016. NMC kicked-off the process to lease out the land to L&T Construction in December 2016.

It is mandatory for NMC to recover charges as per ready reckoner value to lease out its land to any private institution. The state government has powers to waive these charges. L&T Construction has assured to develop the centre at its own cost and also provide training free of cost. Therefore, NMC sought the government’s permission to lease out the land at nominal rate.

Earlier, NMC had sought similar exemption for leasing out sprawling 75 acre, worth around Rs180 crore, to Pune-based Symbiosis International University for setting up its off-campus centre. Unfortunately, neither the government or NMC imposed any conditions like free courses for local students.

Note: News shared for public awareness with reference from the information provided at online news portals.

Tags: , , , , ,

More Stories From Corporate Skill Initiatives