Go to ...

Skill Reporter

Informational updates on skill development, technical vocational education and training

Skill Reporter on Google+Skill Reporter on YouTubeSkill Reporter on LinkedInSkill Reporter on PinterestRSS Feed

April 25, 2018

Week long Skill Fest 2017 started at Kohima, Parliamentary Secretary urged students to shift focus from degree to career


Kohima : Skill Fest ‘17, a week-long programme on life skills and personality development from November 20 to 25 initiated by the Oriental College, Kohima began on November 20. With an attempt to apply theory into practice, the Skill Fest will impart training on coffee plantation, piggery, fishery, entrepreneurship, horticulture, mushroom cultivation, food processing, handicrafts & carpentry, baking, painting and farming, dolls and ornamental making, knitting, electrical fittings.

The inauguration was graced by Dr. Neiphrezo Keditsu, Parliamentary Secretary, Employment, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship as the chief guest.

While appreciating the incorporation of skill development in the College academics, Dr. Neiphrezo Keditsu urged the students to shift their focus from degree to career. “We have to shift our focus as far as career options are concern. Education (in Nagaland) is syllabus oriented and degree oriented but not job oriented. There is a huge gap between getting a job and getting a degree,” said Dr. Keditsu.

Need to bridge the gap between theory and practical

“It is not sufficient until theory is applied in practice,” said Ketshukietuo Dzüvichü, Principal, Oriental College, Kohima while providing a brief overview of the Life Skills and personality development which has been incorporated an add-on curriculum for the academic session 2017 in Oriental College for Higher Secondary and Degree classes.

The Skill Fest aims to help students achieve academic excellence and to impart other vital skills to lead a healthy, successful and enriching life. The programme will bring overall development of the students, creating skills necessary for enhancing employability as well as entrepreneurial abilities of the students.

Admitting the increase in social unrest, disillusioned youth, rampant unemployment, increased frustration and distrust in the system in recent years, the Principal said, “It is sad to mention that most of our young graduates are not leading successful lives; rather they have become a burden to the society. The syllabi taught in Colleges and Universities are too conventional and mostly theoretical. Hence, there is a huge gap in the demand and supply of workforce in the market,” said Ketshukietuo Dzüvichü.

Breaking down traditional mindset

Another major problem is the mindset created by most Naga elders and parents that after acquiring degree, one should be employed in government jobs, expressed Dzüvichü while pointing out that such jobs are almost saturated.

Briefing the unemployment statistics in Nagaland, Dzüvichü pointed out that in June 2017, out of the 7536 students who appeared in Nagaland University BA, B.Com, B.SC and BBA and BCA exam, 4671 passed where the percentage is 61 percent. Further, for the NPSC advertisement in 2017 for only 70 posts, there were more than 13,000 applicants.

With over 4000 students are graduating every year and with 70,422 educated unemployed youth registered in the life register of the department of labour and employment Nagaland, the Principal pointed out that only 3% of the graduates are getting government jobs while the remaining 97% remain jobless. Therefore, the need to train the students to be self reliant and independent has become a necessity for the students and the youths to develop and get train in various fields for sustaining life.

“In this scenario the intellectual group should work out an alternative measure for the younger generation which will lead them a decent and successful life. It is high time to tab the hidden potential of our younger generation and bridge them with the available resources of the state and utilize in a productive manners,” asserted Dzüvichü.

Note: News shared for public awareness with reference from the information provided at online news portals.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

More Stories From Skill Development